Wednesday





A little Q an A
with Clea Haugo






What are you working on right now?

I am currently working on a series of mixed media portraits of victorian era ladies set in modern day surroundings; these are inspired by family photographs and early photographic techniques such as composites, dioramas and silhouettes.


Tell me about the vintage inspiration.

I incorporate a lot of vintage imagery and text into my drawings, paintings, and illustration--I am especially interested in the aesthetics and graphic design of vintage magazines; the simplicity, honesty, and lack of pretense.


What's your favourite era?

It's hard for me to pick just one favourite era... I am really fascinated by the 1930s--times were desperate and yet people were creative, it was the Jazz Age and people danced and sang and watched musicals! And I think there are similarities to today--the economic depression, markets crashing and job shortages.












*

Clea Haugo has a degree in Art History and Fine Arts from Concordia University, and is also a graduate of Algonquin College's Applied Museum Studies.
She's had internships at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, at The Field Museum in Chicago, and at the McCord Museum in Montreal. Clea currently works as a writer/cataloguer for a fine art and antiques auction house. To see more of her work, visit factorycentral.ca. You can also buy up her cards at General 54.

No comments:

Post a Comment